Re: [opensuse] 10.2 no RAID to 11.0 RAID 1
  • From: Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 07:38:12 -0400
On 2008/09/21 11:34 (GMT+0200) Carlos E. R. composed:

The Saturday 2008-09-20 at 22:36 -0500, David C. Rankin wrote:

The Saturday 2008-09-20 at 19:51 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:

If you have a RAID1 BIOS built into the motherboard, are there any reasons
not to use it, as opposed to just using pure software RAID1?

I could name a lot of reasons :-p

Like bios raid not being real hardware raid,

This matters why?

Dunno, I have 3 bios fake raid0(s) and 2 software raid0 system. Can't tell
any
difference except I have to type mdxxx for some stuff on software raid and
dmxxx on the bios raid setups. The bios raid just lets me rebuild an array
before the OS boots, other than that, I understood that bios raid was simply
software raid anyway.

Exactly, this is why. Real hardware raid is faster, there is no
intervention from the cpu. All is done by the card hardware.

No one was disputing the superiority of hardware RAID over software RAID, but
hardware RAID was not among the options being compared.

Therefore

HWR not relevant, so nothing can flow from the point.

if all I'm going to get is a fake raid, I prefer real software that I have
control of.

And BIOS RAID1 provides no control? Every RAID BIOS setup utility I've opened
seems to provide quite a bit of control, and is quick and easy to get into,
unlike waiting more than a minute to get an OS booted that expects the HDs to
already be configured.

not portable,

Portable to what? Why is not portable a problem?

I haven't figured this one out either. I can pull a bios raid drive and put
it
in another machine and read it just fine... I've never tried to move a whole
array from one box to another though. Maybe this is where the portability
issue
creeps in. If so, I'll never notice it.

Non portable means that if your mobo dies, you can not put your raid into
a mobo of a different make. You need one with the same type of bios raid.

By definition, we are only talking simple RAID mirroring here. I don't see
how anyone wouldn't be able to put a pair of disks in another machine, and
use the built in setup program to choose re-make mirror set from the disks
provided.

less flexible.

How?

Waiting on answer...

Less options. Less repair tools. Less choices of how to setup the array.

For instance, with software raid you can have different disks (sizes,
makes, speeds, partitions...)

Maybe since you're so strong on software RAID you don't even know these
things might exist in BIOS RAID1? I don't see how a different speed or brand
could matter, and I know that normally having disks of different size means
the size of the RAID1 will be limited to the size of the smaller disk. As to
any option to have different partitioning, I don't see how that could or
should be reason enough to prefer pure software to the simplicity of BIOS
management and failed device replacement. RAID1 really doesn't seem to me to
require any setup complexity at all.
--
"Unless the Lord builds the house, its builders labor
in vain." Psalm 127:1 NIV

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/