Re: [opensuse] 10.2 no RAID to 11.0 RAID 1
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 11:34:07 +0200 (CEST)

The Saturday 2008-09-20 at 22:36 -0500, David C. Rankin wrote:

The Saturday 2008-09-20 at 19:51 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:

If you have a RAID1 BIOS built into the motherboard, are there any reasons
not to use it, as opposed to just using pure software RAID1?

I could name a lot of reasons :-p

Like bios raid not being real hardware raid,

This matters why?

Dunno, I have 3 bios fake raid0(s) and 2 software raid0 system. Can't tell any
difference except I have to type mdxxx for some stuff on software raid and
dmxxx on the bios raid setups. The bios raid just lets me rebuild an array
before the OS boots, other than that, I understood that bios raid was simply
software raid anyway.

Exactly, this is why. Real hardware raid is faster, there is no intervention from the cpu. All is done by the card hardware. Therefore, if all I'm going to get is a fake raid, I prefer real software that I have control of.

not portable,

Portable to what? Why is not portable a problem?

I haven't figured this one out either. I can pull a bios raid drive and put it
in another machine and read it just fine... I've never tried to move a whole
array from one box to another though. Maybe this is where the portability issue
creeps in. If so, I'll never notice it.

Non portable means that if your mobo dies, you can not put your raid into a mobo of a different make. You need one with the same type of bios raid.

less flexible.

How?

Waiting on answer...

Less options. Less repair tools. Less choices of how to setup the array.

For instance, with software raid you can have different disks (sizes, makes, speeds, partitions...)

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.