Re: [opensuse] 10.2 no RAID to 11.0 RAID 1
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 22:36:54 -0500
Felix Miata wrote:
On 2008/09/21 02:00 (GMT+0200) Carlos E. R. composed:

The Saturday 2008-09-20 at 19:51 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:

If you have a RAID1 BIOS built into the motherboard, are there any reasons
not to use it, as opposed to just using pure software RAID1?

I could name a lot of reasons :-p

Like bios raid not being real hardware raid,

This matters why?

Dunno, I have 3 bios fake raid0(s) and 2 software raid0 system. Can't tell any
difference except I have to type mdxxx for some stuff on software raid and
dmxxx on the bios raid setups. The bios raid just lets me rebuild an array
before the OS boots, other than that, I understood that bios raid was simply
software raid anyway.

not portable,

Portable to what? Why is not portable a problem?

I haven't figured this one out either. I can pull a bios raid drive and put it
in another machine and read it just fine... I've never tried to move a whole
array from one box to another though. Maybe this is where the portability issue
creeps in. If so, I'll never notice it.

less flexible.

How?

Waiting on answer...