[opensuse] Volume knob on keyboard
  • From: Sorin Peste <neaorine@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 21:55:49 +0300
Hi,

I've got a rather unusual keyboard (Myria MY-93) with a volume knob,
among other buttons. I'm trying to set it up so it will control my audio
volume. Turning the knob and then running dmesg outputs this:

atkbd.c: Unknown key released (translated set 2, code 0x96 on
isa0060/serio0).
atkbd.c: Use 'setkeycodes e016 <keycode>' to make it known.
atkbd.c: Unknown key pressed (translated set 2, code 0x8b on
isa0060/serio0).
atkbd.c: Use 'setkeycodes e00b <keycode>' to make it known.

The first two lines appear when the knob is turned to lower volume, the
next two when it is turned to increase volume.

I've googled a bit and also looked at the setkeycodes command but I'm
not really sure what keycodes I should enter, how to hook it up to
either Amarok's global shortcuts or to the alsa master volume (from what
I gather the latter is a bit trickier to do), and how to make sure my
changes remain permanent.

Can anyone help me?
Sorin