[opensuse] Typing Japanese in KDE 4.1 (or 3.5)
  • From: Joop Beris <opensuse@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 17:28:48 +0200
Hello listmates,

Recently my wife has been complaining that Windows is so slow, and how she
gets annoyed by the frequent updates, etc. She's heard me extolling the
virtues of Linux over Windows on many occassions and I have finally convinced
her to consider a switch.

So I have made her machine dual boot between XP and openSUSE 11. She likes the
look of KDE 4.1 (I don't blame her). Also, she is not a power user. She needs
her computer for internet, email, photo management and downloading an
occassional file. Nothing fancy and all things that Linux can do better and a
lot safer than Windows, imho. She is also already used to Firefox and
Thunderbird, so the switch should have no problems for her in that
department.

One thing that does bother her however, is the support for Japanese in KDE. My
wife is Japanese and of course she communicates with a lot of people in
Japanese. I have installed the Japanese language packs and she was pretty
impressed how you can just switch the whole language for the desktop,
something Windows can't do. (So far so good)
The thing that does bother her, is the IME. She likes the way the MS-IME
works, which makes it easy to switch between kanji, hiragana, katakana and
back, all while typing. I don't read Japanese myself, so I have trouble
setting up the IME myself. We have tested some things together, but it's
tough going, because she needs to explain every option to me. We are
currently using Skim as our frontend with Anthy as the backend (does that
make sense?)

So my question to the group is, how can I set up the IME for KDE 4.1 (or 3.5
if that would be better), so that my wife can write Japanese on her machine
without a lot of hassle?

Any Japanese openSUSE users in the group?

Thanks for any advice,

Joop

< Previous Next >