Re: [opensuse] Where's my desktop gone in KDE4
  • From: Bob Williams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 20:50:30 +0100
On Thursday 18 September 2008 20:34:44 Clayton wrote:
Back in KDE3.5.9 I had a number of frequently used links on my desktop
(symlinks to spreadsheets in various directories that I open quite
frequently). Although there is still a directory /home/bob/Desktop
containing these objects, I can't see where to find the equivalent
function in KDE 4.1.1 release 49.1

I've tried dragging the symlink file onto what would seem to be the
desktop but I just get an anonymous black plasmoid with no information as
to its true identity.

Trying to go with KDE 4 (it's the future) and restore the functionality I
had with KDE 3.5 :)

It's not there yet. Pegged for an upcoming release. There is a
desktop plasmoid, but it doesn't work quite right in full screen mode.
You currently have two choices. Don't put files on your 4.1 desktop
(ie wait on 4.2).. or use the Folder View plasmoid and set it to view
the Desktop directory. You can drop that plasmoid anywhere convenient
on the desktop, and it provides a "window" into the old Desktop.

There was a lot of discussion on this back around the time of the
openSUSE 11.0 release... and there is at least one online video/blog
(but I can't find it right now) showing where they are going with
restoring that desktop functionality that everyone is used to.

So... it's not there yet, but planned.

C.

Many thanks. Glad to hear it's on its way.

I must be very thick, because I can't get the Folder View widget to work :( I
can find it in the list of widgets, I select it (well, the highlight bar is on
it, and the little star is yellow), I click on 'Add selected widgets' at the
bottom of the dialogue, and ... nothing happens!

And yes, I've added the

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Qt/openSUSE_11.0/

repository.

Bob
--
Registered Linux User #463880 FSFE Member #1300
GPG-FP: A6C1 457C 6DBA B13E 5524 F703 D12A FB79 926B 994E