Re: [opensuse] Where's my desktop gone in KDE4
  • From: Clayton <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 21:34:44 +0200
Back in KDE3.5.9 I had a number of frequently used links on my desktop
(symlinks to spreadsheets in various directories that I open quite
frequently). Although there is still a directory /home/bob/Desktop containing
these objects, I can't see where to find the equivalent function in KDE 4.1.1
release 49.1

I've tried dragging the symlink file onto what would seem to be the desktop
but
I just get an anonymous black plasmoid with no information as to its true
identity.

Trying to go with KDE 4 (it's the future) and restore the functionality I had
with KDE 3.5 :)

It's not there yet. Pegged for an upcoming release. There is a
desktop plasmoid, but it doesn't work quite right in full screen mode.
You currently have two choices. Don't put files on your 4.1 desktop
(ie wait on 4.2).. or use the Folder View plasmoid and set it to view
the Desktop directory. You can drop that plasmoid anywhere convenient
on the desktop, and it provides a "window" into the old Desktop.

There was a lot of discussion on this back around the time of the
openSUSE 11.0 release... and there is at least one online video/blog
(but I can't find it right now) showing where they are going with
restoring that desktop functionality that everyone is used to.

So... it's not there yet, but planned.

C.