[opensuse] radeon 1650 agp - no compiz, blank glxgears, but good frame rates?
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 00:07:57 -0500
Listmates,

I am somewhat stumped over a new radeon 1650 card (agp) for my daughters
computer. It replaces a 9600 card. fglrx 8-8 (ver. 5.22) drivers already
installed. The problem is that the glxgears display is blank, but the terminal
readout of frame rates is fine. Additionally, compiz gives the same blank
screen. Typing in the blind (alt+f2 'kwin --replace &' tab tab return) restores
kwin without a problem showing that compiz was running, but showing the same
blank/black display.

I have tried both the opensuse ATI drivers and kernel module
(x11-video-fglrxG01-8.522-2.1 & ati-fglrxG01-kmp-pae-8.522_2.6.25.16_0.1-1.1)
and the driver built from the ATI binary (fglrx_7_1_0_SUSE110-8.522-1), but
both give exactly the same result (expected). I have tried a number of
different options in xorg.conf, but no avail, same blank glxgears/compiz
behavior. The relevant device section of the xorg.conf from sax2 is:

Section "Device"
BoardName "Radeon X1650 Series (RV535 71C1)"
Driver "fglrx"
Identifier "Device[0]"
Option "Capabilities" "0x00000000"
Option "FSAAEnable" "off"
Option "FSAAScale" "0"
Option "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
Option "VideoOverlay" "on"
Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"
VendorName "ATI"
EndSection

The DRI and Extensions sections are the same as I have for the other
4-5 ati
cards I run. I have tried with/without AIGLX, VideoOverlay on/off, but still
not joy. The card runs fine otherwise and configures and runs fine under
windows as well with the 8.522 driver there.

X/Compiz/fglrx gurus, I need some help on this one. Is there a missing
xorg.conf options that is needed? I've googled and most other blank glxgears
issues I could fine were solved by update to a newer driver, but that was back
in the 7-7 driver release days. What gives? If more information is needed, just
let me know and I'll post it. Thanks.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC