Re: [opensuse] Dual monitors on boot
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2008 00:08:20 -0500
On Saturday 06 September 2008 10:54:29 am Chris Arnold wrote:
On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 12:29 PM, Chris Arnold wrote:
Chris Arnold wrote:
Using 11.0 x86 64 with kde 4.1 and dual hp w2007h monitors. I want to be
able to have both monitors show something on boot. As it is now, only
the 1 monitor shows the opensuse boot screen. Is there anyway to have
both monitors show this screen on boot (or perhaps a different screen on
boot)? These monitors are not in "clone" mode they are in "extended"
mode. Is there anyway to do this?

I think that's a problem with the graphics adapter. I have 3 machines
with dual monitors. Some of them show the boot on both monitors, some
not. Until you have X started, which is about the last thing that
happens, the xorg.conf doesn't apply. It is writing, probably in some
vga mode, to the adapter.

What graphics adapter are you using?

nVidia 8600

Same chipset on my Vista machine at work, and same single monitor
during boot, and while waiting for my password after being awakened from
screen saver.

So, in yast->graphics card and monitor, under the "card" heading there is
an "options" button and whn i push that button, i get a list of what looks
like nvidia card options. Is this where we can make both monitors show a
screen at boot time?

Not with YaST Graphic card setup.
It will change Xorg configuration, and as mentioned, that is loaded when you
see login screen, not before, so any changes there will not bring dual screen
during bootup.

It is primarily your hardware (graphic card BIOS) that is deciding what to use
during bootup. Kernel doesn't change that on it's own. I looked for kernel
boot parameters and I can't find anything that will allow dual screen.

I looked on the nvidia site and couldn't find anything. I didn't looked in
nvidia forums, though.

I have one card with dual VGA output that gives identical content on both
outputs until Xorg picks up and shows desktop, but when I use 2 different
cards than I have boot screen on one that I declared as primary in the
computer BIOS. The graphic card BIOS has no configuration options accessible
during boot. It is usually selection between AGP or PCI, or PCIe and PCI,
depends on bus where internal card is connected (older motherboard AGP, or
recent PCIe).

--
Regards, Rajko