RE: [opensuse] cloned drive -- /dev/disk error (suse 10.3)
  • From: "James D. Parra" <Jamesp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 11:28:28 -0700
On Wed, 2008-09-03 at 16:22 -0700, James D. Parra wrote:
Hello,

Have cloned Linux drives in the past, but this is the first time I have
seen
this.

Grub initiates and the Os begins to load until it errors at...

......Could not find
/dev/disk/by-id/scsi_SATA_WDC_WD400BB-23FWD-WMAj3002459-part3.
Want me to fall back to
/dev/disk/by-id/scsi_SATA_WDC_WD400BB-23FWD-WMAj3002459-part3? (Y/n)
{selecting Yes restarts the above process and returns you to the above
question, while selecting 'no' show the following}
not found -- exiting to /bin/sh
sh: no job control in this shell.
<snip>

What is the best way to recover from this? The above request is looking
for
the source drive model which is slightly different that target, cloned
drive.

Can this be fixed from the repair DVD/CD?

You need to boot into rescue mode and modify /boot/grub/menu.lst
and /etc/fstab and correct the settings there. You can find the correct
id by: ls /dev/disk/by-id. That will show you the ones it knows about
and you can hopefully tell which one is current. I'm guessing it tells
you in dmesg too.

This is interesting. Using an off-the-shelf product for cloning, the
software does not recognize the XFS partition on the source drive and
therefore it is not appearing on the target drive.

Using the Suse DVD to boot from, what is the best way to clone one Linux
drive to another?

Thank you,

~James