RE: [opensuse] cloned drive -- /dev/disk error (suse 10.3)
  • From: "James D. Parra" <Jamesp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 09:39:59 -0700
Grub initiates and the Os begins to load until it errors at...

......Could not find
/dev/disk/by-id/scsi_SATA_WDC_WD400BB-23FWD-WMAj3002459-part3.
Want me to fall back to
/dev/disk/by-id/scsi_SATA_WDC_WD400BB-23FWD-WMAj3002459-part3? (Y/n)
{selecting Yes restarts the above process and returns you to the above
question, while selecting 'no' show the following}
not found -- exiting to /bin/sh
sh: no job control in this shell.
<snip>

What is the best way to recover from this? The above request is looking
for
the source drive model which is slightly different that target, cloned
drive.

Can this be fixed from the repair DVD/CD?

You need to boot into rescue mode and modify /boot/grub/menu.lst
and /etc/fstab and correct the settings there. You can find the correct
id by: ls /dev/disk/by-id. That will show you the ones it knows about
and you can hopefully tell which one is current. I'm guessing it tells
you in dmesg too.

HTH,
James

Alternatively, if you have a set of machines you routinely keep in
sync via cloning a master image, then on the master you can modify
grub's menu.lst file to reference the old /dev/sdX style paths. Then
the clones should work fine.

ie. We have 5 travel PCs that have identical hardware. When a major
upgrade comes, we upgrade the master and test it out. Modify
menu.lst, then clone the rest of the PCs from the master.