Re: [opensuse] Cannot write to ext3 usb drive as normal user
  • From: "Theo v. Werkhoven" <theo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 12:30:57 +0200
Tue, 02 Sep 2008, by psavoie1783@xxxxxxxxxx:

Hello,

I have a 250 GB ext usb drive for my laptop. When I plug it in it is
recognized but normal user cannot write to it. The root user can, but not
me as phil. How can I configure this for normal users to write the ext usb
drive, please?

I don't know how it's done with an auto-mounter, but normally a
'uid' and 'gid' option in fstab would be the answer. Set these to
your own uid and gid (e.g. rw,uid=phil,gid=users ) and the drive will
be mounted so you can read and write.
See mount(1) /mount\ options\ for\ ext3

Theo
--
Theo v. Werkhoven Registered Linux user# 99872 http://counter.li.org
ICBM 52 13 26N , 4 29 47E. + ICQ: 277217131