Re: [opensuse] Audio problem.
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2008 00:51:20 -0500
Erik Jakobsen wrote:
John Andersen wrote:
On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 10:41 PM, Erik Jakobsen <eja@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I still have the problem, that Kmix's Master-output is not working.
PCM-output does.
It's the same using Alsamixer.

I think I have seen something like this before, but It was kubuntu.
I found a setting in kmix telling it to slave master and pcm or
something like that. Maybe little green lights above the sliders
or something?

I don't have that machine anymore so I can't give details.
But I remember doing something in the Kde control panel or
kmix to set this right.

Ok John. I cannot understand it, because all seems to be ok, but of course it isn't.
Thanks for the reply and testing
Kubuntu is sue likewise opensuse in that it uses Alsa and Kmix I think

I had similar fits with an MSI K7N2 Delta ILSR motherboard and onboard sound. What the problem turned out to be was that the SuSE install had in effect installed 2 different sound card setups during install. This was completely transparent and wasn't uncovered until I manually deleted the sound card in YAST only to discover another sound card was "covered up" by the config that I deleted. The second card config magically appeared when I deleted the first sound card. Deleting the second "card", starting over with a clean slate and then installing the sound card again solved the problem. This occurred with 9.3, 10.0 and 10.3 on the same machine.

I don't know why, just what it took to fix it...

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC