Re: [opensuse] strange samba rsync problem

----- Original Message -----
From: "Damon Register" <damon.w.register@xxxxxxxx>
To: <opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, September 03, 2008 7:10 AM
Subject: Re: [opensuse] strange samba rsync problem

Brian K. White wrote:
step one is rsync -vvvvaz --del --progress source dest

Maybe add -n and/or -i too.
That has proved most useful. I tried using the --iconv option but
that failed. After looking at the output I saw that it said the
option was refused by the server. On further investigation I found
that I had installed the latest server in the wrong location so that
it was the old version that was running. Even with that correction
it didn't work and I found it was because the build process couldn't
find libiconv. I fixed CFLAGS and LDFLAGS but it seems I still
have to find the correct settings so that it finds the shared lib
at runtime. Fortunately there are quite a few programmers her that
might be able to help me with that.

At lease now I know that the server wasn't able to do any
conversion and I think that once I fix that problem, I will have
the correct file names. Thanks for your help.

Glad to help.
Sounds like you're on track.

However, I would (I do in fact) just install the prebuilt rsync from
sunfreeware.

Sample install recipe of a package on a sparc solaris 9 box:
Browse here for packages, http://www.sunfreeware.com/indexsparc9.html

wget
ftp://ftp.sunfreeware.com/pub/freeware/sparc/9/bash-3.2.17-sol9-sparc-local.gz
gunzip bash-3.2.17-sol9-sparc-local.gz
pkgadd -d bash-3.2.17-sol9-sparc-local

For any given package, first follow the dependancy links to other packages and
perform the same instructions as above for those packages first.

You said you have solaris 10, I don't remember what platform, so, assuming it's
sparc,
for you to install rsync, you could cut & paste this recipe verbtim, paste the
whole block from sfi () { to } right into a telnet/ssh session.
Then run the sfi <pkg> commands manually one at a time, in the order shown.

sfi () {
FTP="ftp://ftp.sunfreeware.com/pub/freeware/sparc/10/";
SUF="-sol10-sparc-local"
wget ${FTP}${1}${SUF}.gz || return
gunzip ${1}${SUF}.gz
pkgadd -d ${1}$SUF
rm ${1}$SUF
}

sfi libgcc-3.4.6
sfi libiconv-1.11
sfi libintl-3.4.0
sfi popt-1.14
sfi rsync-3.0.3

If your platform is x86 then just go to www.sunfreeware.com and follow the link
for your version and platform on th top-right. Then fetch the equivalent
tar.gz's as above and run the same commands.

If you don't have wget or curl just get the files any way you want of course
and run the gunzip & pkgadd commands manually like the first example.

--
Brian K. White brian@xxxxxxxxx http://www.myspace.com/KEYofR