Re: [opensuse] Printer Recommendation?
  • From: "Andrew Joakimsen" <joakimsen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 04:33:09 -0400
On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 3:35 AM, Johannes Meixner <jsmeix@xxxxxxx> wrote:
I think you should clarify when you post "free" what exactly that word
means in your context.

What "free software" means (I didn't write only "free",
I wrote explicitely "free software") in particular
in the context of GNU/Linux is perfectly clear.

Well it's not free Hardware, it's not free Beer, it's not a free
Airplane, it's obviously software. There really isn't any other way to
describe it. I think it's obvious I understood the meaning of your
posting -- but others might not know what precisely you meant by
"free."

In particular the Brother driver is no free software
and therefore a Brother printer which needs this driver
cannot work out-of-the-box for Suse Linux or openSUSE
simply because we cannot provide the driver "in the box"
so that the user must manually download and install it.

For example this driver does not install well on all
hardware architectuers in contrast to free software which
we provide "in the box", read
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Information_for_Printer_Manufacturers_Regarding_Linux_Support

"this driver" Which driver is that?

Of course you are free to buy whatever proprietary hardware
and use whatever proprietary driver you like - except you
have a support contract with us - then it depends on the
particular proprietary driver if it might even invalidate
certain parts of the support contract (e.g. a proprietary
kernel module might invalidate support for kernel issues).

When you use a proprietary driver you can ask only where
you got the proprietary stuff for support or for a driver
package for non-Intel-32-bit platforms (often a simple
move doesn't help - e.g. see the IScan mess for 64-bit).

If I am not mistaken that issue is with Epson hardware. I did not post
regarding Epson hardware. With the Brother hardware the solution is
indeed "a simple move.". I never said that is the case for every piece
of software that does not work on a 64-bit distribution.

Therefore please do not recommend proprietary stuff here
without an explicite note that it is proprietary stuff.

And please don't tout HP as being the *ONLY* hardware vendor "who
provides a free software driver package" without an explicit notice
that you mean "free as in liberty" and not "free as in beer."

The ironic thing is HP provides such great Linux drivers yet their
Windows drivers are quite possibly the worst.