Re: [opensuse] Printer Recommendation?
  • From: Johannes Meixner <jsmeix@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 09:35:35 +0200 (CEST)

Hello,

On Sep 2 13:24 Andrew Joakimsen wrote:
On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 3:14 AM, Johannes Meixner <jsmeix@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Regarding HP:

HP is currently the only manufacturer who provides a free software
driver package for printers and all-in-one devices which we provide
since a very long time in Suse Linux and openSUSE, see
http://hplip.sourceforge.net/

Carefully check
http://hplip.sourceforge.net/supported_devices/index.html
in particular
http://hplip.sourceforge.net/supported_devices/unsupported.html

Correction: HP is the only manufacturer which provides a driver
package with a license agreement that is compabible with the openSUSE
license, hence it can be included on the install DVD.

Brother, which I mentioned in my last post, provide drivers at no cost
(not even ask for an email address) in RPM format. 1 RPM for SANE
scanner drivers and another RPM for CUPS printer drivers. Install the
RPM and no further configuration is needed. I've tested these for
various printers under 10.1, 10.3 & 11.0 and they all work, except for
64-bit distros needing to move a single file from /usr/lib... to
/usr/lib64...

I think you should clarify when you post "free" what exactly that word
means in your context.

What "free software" means (I didn't write only "free",
I wrote explicitely "free software") in particular
in the context of GNU/Linux is perfectly clear.

In particular the Brother driver is no free software
and therefore a Brother printer which needs this driver
cannot work out-of-the-box for Suse Linux or openSUSE
simply because we cannot provide the driver "in the box"
so that the user must manually download and install it.

For example this driver does not install well on all
hardware architectuers in contrast to free software which
we provide "in the box", read
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Information_for_Printer_Manufacturers_Regarding_Linux_Support

Of course you are free to buy whatever proprietary hardware
and use whatever proprietary driver you like - except you
have a support contract with us - then it depends on the
particular proprietary driver if it might even invalidate
certain parts of the support contract (e.g. a proprietary
kernel module might invalidate support for kernel issues).

When you use a proprietary driver you can ask only where
you got the proprietary stuff for support or for a driver
package for non-Intel-32-bit platforms (often a simple
move doesn't help - e.g. see the IScan mess for 64-bit).

Therefore please do not recommend proprietary stuff here
without an explicite note that it is proprietary stuff.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex