Re: [opensuse] Lower memory issue
  • From: "Irwan Hadi" <ihblist6@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 00:41:06 -0600
On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 8:59 PM, Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm not sure you're analyzing the problem correctly:

1) 32-bit Java applications can use no more than 2 GB each.

2) Java applications do not intrinsically have a 32-bit or 64-bit memory
model. That is determined only by the JVM on which they're executing.
Thus any Java application can avail itself of a larger virtual (and
physical) address space by the simple expedient of running it under a
64-bit JVM. That, of course, requires a 64-bit OS.

Yes, I know that on 32 bit platform, each Java process can only use up
to 2 GB of memory. The application is configured with Xms and Xmx
parameter as 1024m each, and even with this the OOM-killer is still
sniping processes on this box (being sendmail, bash, and the java
application itself).
I also must rephrase my original comment, the problem really is not
with Java per say, but the fact that even though the box has 8 GB of
RAM, the kernel invokes OOM-killer when the box is only using 1.5 GB
of memory, and not using any swap at all.
We traced the issue to lower memory issue, where after a couple days,
the amount of low memory will decrease from 800 MB to 8 MB and lower,
and this is what invoked the OOM-killer.

So the question is what is the root cause of this issue? Is this with
the Java application?, or is there an updated bigsmp kernel with this
oom-killer fixed, and if there is no fix available, how can we make
sure the kernel's OOM-killer won't snipe the processes on this box
(processes being sendmail, bash, to the java application itself)

We tried turning off the oom-killer with the following command as we
are debugging the issue, and we got "no such file or directory"
echo "0" > /proc/sys/vm/oom-kill

Thanks
Thanks

Randall Schulz