Re: [opensuse] Cannot write to ext3 usb drive as normal user
  • From: Neil <hok.krat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 07:47:59 +0200
On 9/3/08, Phil Savoie <psavoie1783@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello,

I have a 250 GB ext usb drive for my laptop. When I plug it in it is
recognized but normal user cannot write to it. The root user can, but not
me as phil. How can I configure this for normal users to write the ext usb
drive, please?

Thank you,

Phil

Hi

There will be several solutions to choose from. Some will involve
command line work, other do not. I personally prefer command line work
where I know how to do it, but that is a personal issue. I know 2
solutions:

A short term solution:
open a terminal, enter "su" and the root pw (1)
enter: chmod a+w /path/to/mount/point (usually "/media/disk" if there
is only one drive.) (2)
Disadvantages: you have to do this every time you boot or re-install
the harddisk

a long term solution:
check the "UUID's" for the disk, each partition has one. (the
partition editer in yast can provide that, but not by default. If
needed I will check how tonight. There are other ways) (3)
make a folder for each partition.
open a terminal, enter su and your root pwd
enter "nano /etc/fstab" (4)
enter the UUID and the folder where it should be mounted in /etc/fstab
(with some option to be able to boot without the disk present. dunno
wich one) in exacly the same format as the lines that are already
there (except for the /dev/sd* part. The UUID should go there). (5)

(1) to go to "super user", a sort of root
(2) change the permissions on the mount point, a+w means "all + write"
(3) UUID's are disk identifiers. They do not involve where the disk is
exactly. You could pull the disk out of the enclosure and still use
the same UUID's
(4) Nano is a command line text editor
(5) fstab is the File System TABle. It tells suse where to mount the
file systems and what to do with them.

There should be other solutions, and I do not think this really solves
the problem, it merely provides a way around it. However I do not know
how to solve the problem, and this is the best I can do (I have only
be busy with Linux and BSD for about a year in total, and went back to
XP for a couple of years in between).

Neil
--
There are three kinds of people: Those who can count, and those who cannot count