Re: [opensuse] Lower memory issue
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 19:59:20 -0700
On Tuesday 02 September 2008 18:10, Irwan Hadi wrote:
We are running opensuse 10.3 X86 with 2.6.22.5-31-bigsmp #1 SMP
kernel, on a Dell PowerEdge with 8 GB memory, and 2 X Quad Core Intel
Xeon 3.0 Ghz
The swap memory is set to be 2 GB.

The application running is a Java application.

We noted that oom-killer snipes processes even though the server is
not using any swap at all, and there is plenty of high memory left.

Is there anything that we can do to solve this issue? I believe
bigsmp kernel is supposed to be able to handle memory up to 64 GB.
We can't really switch the application (even though it is a java
based application) to 64 bits O/S unfortunately. ...

I'm not sure you're analyzing the problem correctly:

1) 32-bit Java applications can use no more than 2 GB each.

2) Java applications do not intrinsically have a 32-bit or 64-bit memory
model. That is determined only by the JVM on which they're executing.
Thus any Java application can avail itself of a larger virtual (and
physical) address space by the simple expedient of running it under a
64-bit JVM. That, of course, requires a 64-bit OS.

Randall Schulz