Re: [opensuse] Can't boot 10.3 after 11.0 install -No ideas ? Please?
  • From: Bob S <911@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 21:42:26 -0400
On Tuesday 02 September 2008 18:55:21 Rodney Baker wrote:
On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 07:55:36 Patrick Shanahan wrote:
* Bob S <911@xxxxxxxxxxx> [09-02-08 17:46]:
[...]

"BLOGD: no message logging because /var file system is not
accessible" Don't know if that could be the problem.

/var is out of space or otherwise fsck'ed

Help please! I've spent the last three days trying to fix this.
10.3 is my "work" system. I need it back. The install of 11.0 should
have been easy. It wasn't. Can't imagine what could have happened.

I would boot from a live disk and fsck the drive partition that
contains 10.3's /var

THEN remove some of the older log files and clean /var/tmp if you have
one.

Another possibility is that if you are trying to share /var between 11.1
and 10.3 that the owner and group id's don't match across the 2 systems.
You need to check /etc/passwd and /etc/group on each system to find out. A
better idea would be not to share any partitions other than (perhaps)
/home; even if you do share /home. make sure that you have separate user
accounts between 10.3 and 11 to avoid problems with config files.

Hi Rodney,

No, I'm not trying to share it. Each system has it's own separate /var
partition. Will check /etc/passwd and /etc/group though. Thanks again.Will
report back.

Bob S