Re: [opensuse] Bluetooth mouse
  • From: "John Andersen" <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 12:55:28 -0700
On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 6:16 AM, Manne Merak <mannemerak@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have a Dell Vostro 1700 with builtin bluetooth and Dell bt Travel Mouse.
I can see the mouse goes into sleep mode after some time of inactivity (to
save battery). When I move it it take about 1-2sec to reactivate and I see
the following msg in /var/log/messages

Sep 2 14:55:10 xxxxxxxxxxx input[4438]: New input device 00:07:61:B8:CA:00
(Dell BT Travel Mouse)
Sep 2 14:55:10 xxxxxxxxxxx kernel: input: Dell BT Travel Mouse as
/class/input/input15

The input15 increments as it gets reconnected after a sleep.
My problem is that sometimes it does not come back and I have to goto the
Bluetooth monitor (kbluetooth icon) and reconnect manually.
Doing some debugging I found that the mouse will stay connected even if I
remove all bluetooth processes - just the bluetooth module remains (cant get
it unloaded, to many dependencies).
So, who keeps the mouse connected? bluetooth module? Something builtin to
the kernel? some Xorg module? I would like to reload/restart something to
see who is at fault.
(ps. the batteries are fine)

Manne

I have the same mouse on two machines, (Dell 9400 -Opensuse 10.3, and
Dell XPS 1330 -Ubuntu 8.01).
In each case they run flawlessly, and its a really good mouse.

I see the same messages in the log .The log messages are not
indicative of any problem imho.

I run Kbluetooth in the suse machine, and very occasionally (once a
month at most) the
mouse will not reconnect immediately.

Some solutions I have used:
1) turn mouse off and on.
2) Use the touch pad to right click Kbluetooth running in the tray,
Select Configuration,
Select Input Devices. If it appears, click it and set connect, if
not Add new devices
and press blue button on mouse so it finds it. This is essentially
what you said you
were doing.
3) Enter airplane mode on laptop, then return to non-airplane mode.
(This presumes
you have bluetooth and Wifi configured to be managed by airplane mode in the
bios. I turned off that option, and have not done this for a long time).

I have no clue why I have to do this occasionally, but I believe its
not the mouse but rather
onboard bluetooth radio that is being very occasionally shut down.
You might check your bios
to see if it is shutting off bluetooth in powersave mode and don't let
it do that.

In the Yast Bluetooth Saemon configuration the only Daemons I run are
SDP (device announcement - Very important)
HCI
OPD (not critical but I use it to transfer pictures from my phone)
HID
HID2HCI

These are fairly standard, I believe with exception of OPD.

In /etc/sysconfig editor in yast, under hardware bluetooth, I have
"always stop services"
set to no, so the machine should never turn off these services.

Rather than your approach of trying to root out everything but the
essentials, I just assume whoever set up bluetooth knows more than I
do, and I let it all run. I have this problem very rarely.