Re: [opensuse] Printer Recommendation?
  • From: "Andrew Joakimsen" <joakimsen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 13:24:55 -0400
On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 3:14 AM, Johannes Meixner <jsmeix@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Regarding HP:

HP is currently the only manufacturer who provides a free software
driver package for printers and all-in-one devices which we provide
since a very long time in Suse Linux and openSUSE, see
http://hplip.sourceforge.net/

Carefully check
http://hplip.sourceforge.net/supported_devices/index.html
in particular
http://hplip.sourceforge.net/supported_devices/unsupported.html

Correction: HP is the only manufacturer which provides a driver
package with a license agreement that is compabible with the openSUSE
license, hence it can be included on the install DVD.

Brother, which I mentioned in my last post, provide drivers at no cost
(not even ask for an email address) in RPM format. 1 RPM for SANE
scanner drivers and another RPM for CUPS printer drivers. Install the
RPM and no further configuration is needed. I've tested these for
various printers under 10.1, 10.3 & 11.0 and they all work, except for
64-bit distros needing to move a single file from /usr/lib... to
/usr/lib64...

I think you should clarify when you post "free" what exactly that word
means in your context.