Re: [opensuse] Data recovery?
  • From: "Chuck Payne" <terrorpup@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 13:16:36 -0400
On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 9:37 AM, Clayton <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
If you have a backup restore from that, if not (apart from the obvious
"why no backup?"), I hope whoever has asked you to do this is paying by
the hour or this a small drive with relatively few large files.

Well, this drive was to be the backup. Short story is... it started
with a friend's personal computer with way too much data. They are
migrating all computers in the house to Linux which in their case
means moving all data off to backup reformatting and repartitioning
from FAT32/WinXP to Linux. The USB drive was to be the main backup
once the migration was complete. In this case, data was moved, and
the broken FAT was only discovered after the original disk was
overwritten.

So... unless by some chance there are duplicate copies of the same
data on another drive, this is currently the only copy. Plan was to
have the data on the PC hard drives, USB drive as the main backup, and
a DVD RW secondary backup. We didn't get that far. :-( There are no
other source to rebuild the data from....

C.

Guys, just a note since about a week ago, I posted almost the same
question. That dd_recuse is worth looking at. It helped me recover
25Gigs, with only about 6 files lost. It very easy to use.

This is a very good how to for dd_recuse and recovering a drive.

http://blog.herbertm.ca/pages/badblocks-howto

Command, n.:
Statement presented by a human and accepted by a computer in
such a manner as to make the human feel as if he is in control.