Re: [opensuse] Data recovery?
  • From: G T Smith <grahamsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 13:35:32 +0100

Clayton wrote:
I am working on trying to recover some data from a hard drive (FAT32
formatted). The drive can be mounted OK (mounted in a USB external
drive housing), but the data is not accessible. When I do an ls -al,
I get this back:

==============================
/media/usbdrive> ls -al
total 32
drwxrwxrwx 5 root root 16384 2008-06-21 17:28 ./
drwxrwxrwx 5 root root 16384 1970-01-01 01:00 ../
?--------- ? ? ? ? ? Backup
?--------- ? ? ? ? ? Vids_1992
?--------- ? ? ? ? ? Photos_1992
==============================

So... something is seriously wrong... obviously... but the question
is... is there any hope? Does anyone know any method, or tools
(Linux, Windows, whatever) that can be used to recover at least some
of the data?

C.

Others have suggested a course of action and appropriate tools but I
think no-one has indicated what exactly what you may be committing
yourself to (and you may feel that you have better things to do in life
:-) ).

A quick glance at this suggests to me that the strongest probability is
that you now have a rather large data jigsaw. How complex the jigsaw is
will largely be dependant on how fragmented the drive is and how much of
the FAT information has been lost.

It looks as if you have completely lost the root directory entry points
or root FAT entries which means the data is there but there is no
information on how it is initially organised. The good news is that data
recovery is almost certainly possible if damage is restricted to these
areas (mainly because FAT is a very primitive file system), but the bad
news is that it can be very time consuming to do that recovery. The
tools identified will identify some parts of the jigsaw but you will
probably need to rebuild and identify some files directly.

If you have a backup restore from that, if not (apart from the obvious
"why no backup?"), I hope whoever has asked you to do this is paying by
the hour or this a small drive with relatively few large files.

If it is your data this is a case of judging the time you spend putting
the jigsaw together, against the time of rebuilding the data from other
sources.

Good luck...

- --
telephone.