Re: [opensuse] strange samba rsync problem
  • From: Damon Register <damonregister@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 06:33:21 -0400
G T Smith wrote:
Have you considered using rsyncd (the rsync daemon) on the host server?
This is largely FS independent, you do not need mount anything, and it
is not that hard to set up.
With all the trouble I was having, I decided to give rsyncd a try.
It turned out that it wasn't so hard to get running even on Solaris.
The only trouble I had there is that I forgot to add to /etc/services
but figured it out quickly. I had to update my rsnycd because I was
having trouble but after some work with different rsync options on
the client, I finally got it to work.

Now there seems to be only one flaw. After the rsync operation I ran
kdiff to see how the local compared with the remote samba mounted where
the rsyncd had stored it. All but one file were exactly the same but
that one file had an accented a that didn't get copied the same by
the remote rsyncd.

Damon Register