Re: [opensuse] Joining Windows domain during openSUSE 11.0 install
  • From: Jerry Houston <jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 03:29:49 -0700
Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
This is what I am trying to set up. But our local AD won't let my
machine join. I am pretty sure I am talking to it. For example, if I try
my own AD account, I get a permission error - I cannot add machines. If
I use a wrong password, it says my login is bad. I think our IT guys
have turned off allowing anonymous users to add machines to the AD. Or
there is an old record for this machine that I cannot alter as an
anonymous user. I am trying to get the IT guys to sort this out. No
answer yet..

Based on my experience working for multiple companies with AD domains, I'd be amazed if *any* company allowed machine accounts to be created by an anonymous user. I'm not saying it's not possible -- just that I've never seen it done that way by any company.

At my present company, because of some of my assigned duties, I have Jr. Deputy Assistant SysAdmin credentials, and can join machines to our corporate domain. But I realize that's a rare privilege, and I treat it as such.
As a developer with an independent streak, I sometimes get the feeling that IT is getting in my way. But if you think about it, they have a difficult and stressful job, and the less "locked down" their network is, the harder it is to keep it all running right.