Re: [opensuse] openSUSE 11.0 - differences in when you join a Windows Adtive Directory?
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 12:16:38 +0200
On Tue, 2008-09-02 at 11:34 +0200, Manne Merak wrote:
Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
When installing openSUSE 11.0, you are offered a choice to have users
authenticated against a Windows AD. If you select not to do so during
the install, will the system be set up to do so when, laser in Yast, you
join a Windows AD? Is there any downside to waiting for later to join
the AD? Something that is only done when this is enabled during install?

Only ever tried this in 10.2.
When you do not join the AD at installation and choose local auth, all
users will be placed in /home/<user>.
When you then later join AD and make your default auth AD (NOTE: this is
two separate things in Linux, not like on Windows), users will be in
/home/<domain>/<user>.
Moving users to the new location did not work for me? to many badly
written scripts assumed /home/<user>.

(this could be different in 11.0?)

Same in 11.0. I think it is this way because the same user name can
exist in different Windows domains.

But this was not the difference I meant. I just was curious if joining
the Windows domain after install was in any way different from joining
it during install.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST

Ramböll Sverige AB
Kapellgränd 7
P.O. Box 4205
SE-102 65 Stockholm, Sweden

Office: Int +46 8-615 60 20
Mobile: Int +46 70-815 1696

And remember:

It is like talking about large city with all constructions finished.
Not impossible, but very unlikely.