Re: [opensuse] Joining Windows domain during openSUSE 11.0 install
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 08:43:11 +0200
On Mon, 2008-09-01 at 20:25 -0400, Doug McGarrett wrote:
On Monday 01 September 2008 11:16, Silent Ph03nix wrote:
On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 10:04 AM, Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 2008-09-01 at 09:54 -0500, Silent Ph03nix wrote:

I will have to see if they are running 2000 or 2003. I want to validate
Linux user logins via the AD server. It is the Linux box itself that I
want the users to have access to with their AD passwords, not other
resources on the network. I cannot track their AD passwords manually,
and they are changing all the time. Currently, they have different
user/password on the Linux box than on the AD box. I am trying to get
away from that.

Understood. In that case you're most likely going to have to get your
IT department involved. We tend to get snippy when people try to do
things on our network without getting us involved. ;-)

Ph03nix

Where I worked (I am retired) the IT department would have come completely
unglued if anyone on the net tried to install Linux. Perhaps if one of the
programmers could have made a case for it, but otherwise. . . .

We were, originally, a small company that made a measurement system,
based first on OS/9, then Unix (HP-UX and then SCO UnixWare), Caldera
Linux, and now openSUSE Linux.. We were never a Windows or DOS shop.
There was a bit of a pull to OS/2, but that passed quickly. We were then
bought by a company that is today over 8200 employees. Out little group
of 10 or so are the only ones not using Windows (or, the 'Standard PC',
as the IT department call their canned install of Windows that is used
company-wide). Well, almost company wide :)

One silly thing is that as our company has a Novell site license, the IT
guys have access to SUSE. They have tried it. No complaints. But it does
not run Outlook and Office. That could have been sorted, if there had
been a bit of initiative. The real problem is all the engineering
software that is used. Our company is mainly engineering and design
consultants in many areas. They exchange design data with many outside
sources. So, they need to run the same software. If you were doing a
design of a bridge, or a tunnel, or a part of a North Sea oil platform,
would you want to risk running your software in a simulator (or even a
virtual machine) that was not tested by the software maker? Would you
trust importing data from one program to another? It does not take many
mistakes for a company to loose their reputation. So, until engineering
software is properly and officially ported to Linux, there is no chance
a company like ours will convert. The risks are seen as too great. And I
think they are.

But our little division had Unix/Linux from the start. We don't want to
convert to Windows for the same reason the Windows guys do not want to
convert to Linux.

The SoftWar rages on.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST

Ramböll Sverige AB
Kapellgränd 7
P.O. Box 4205
SE-102 65 Stockholm, Sweden

Office: Int +46 8-615 60 20
Mobile: Int +46 70-815 1696

And remember:

It is like talking about large city with all constructions finished.
Not impossible, but very unlikely.