Re: [opensuse] Opensuse doesn't wait long enough for the disks to spin up before trying to configure raid
  • From: Mike Myers <mikesm559@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 12:20:46 -0700 (PDT)
Ok, well I had a chance to try out the longer MDADM_DEVICE_TIMEOUT delay
parameter today (we had a power failure in the neighborhood that the UPS
couldn't outlast). It didn't make any difference. The first time coming up,
it tried to assemble the array before all the devices had been detected and
created, and failed. I manually entered the shell, and did a reboot, and the
2nd time every device was detected rapidly (presumably because the disks were
already spun-up and online) and then it came up just fine.

I noted that after the initial md assembly attempted failed during the first
attempt at startup, the EH process of discovering the disks (and presumably
spinning them up) from the port multipliers was still going on. Since a device
is not created until the disk is spun up, the udev events did not appear to get
triggered in such a way as for the mdadm to realize it had to wait. When
boot.md was hit, only the base 6 drives attached to the onboard SATA ports and
one of the PMP's and it's associated drives were online and detected. The 2nd
and 3 PMP's and their associated disks did not complete their EH process (and
then begin to create the devices for the actual disks) until after md had tried
to assemble the disks.

So I must be looking for a different paramter to add a delay other than the md
delays specified in /etc/sysconfig/mdadm. Any ideas?

I have cc'd the linux-raid list on this as well.

Thanks,
Mike