Re: [opensuse] Recover md RAID-1.
  • From: Moby <moby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2008 13:49:06 -0500

Per Jessen wrote:
Andrew Joakimsen wrote:

My solution was:

Solution:

* Reinstall OS on first drive drive (screw this md raid stuff... no
--force does not work... obviously md RAID is worthless)

Blaiming the pen when the writing is bad, huh?
There's nothing wrong with MD RAID at all, it works very well indeed.

/Per Jessen, Z├╝rich

While I can understand your frustrations Andrew, be careful you do not throw the baby out with the bathwater.
I have had moments with disk issues when using MD raid. Such situations occasionally involve increasing blood-pressure, high anxiety, large amounts of panic etc. Having made mistakes in the past in such situations, I now make sure a clear step-by-step checklist if available for our servers using MD-raid.
In closing, let me add that MD raid is very stable, useful, and cost-effective. I have numerous production systems where I have physical disks -> MD raid -> LVM -> OS file system. Works great, allows much flexibility, and keeps on humming.
--
--Moby

deserve neither liberty nor safety. -- Benjamin Franklin