Re: [opensuse] Joining Windows domain during openSUSE 11.0 install
  • From: "Silent Ph03nix" <silentph03nix@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 10:38:20 -0500
On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 10:23 AM, Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 2008-09-01 at 10:16 -0500, Silent Ph03nix wrote:

I have just contacted them. Our parent company is very Windows-centric.
Even though they use Novell for file access, and have a site license for
all Novell products. There are only a very few of us 'crazy' Linux users
here. The admins are sympathetic, but prefer not to get involved. I will
have to grovel a bit.

IIRC, I seem to recall that there was some weirdness about how many
times a machine tries to join an AD. When you first attempt to join,
some record is made. If you do not join the right way (as Linux would
for authentication), there was some record on the AD that had to be
deleted before you could try again. Sound familiar? Maybe something like
this has happened. Or I am the victim of rumor. Again...

That could be what you're running up against. In AD, a computer has
an account and if you got far enough to actually create that account
in AD, you would probably have to be an admin to over write that
account when you try to re-join the domain. In that case, either an
admin would have to provide credentials to allow joining the domain,
or they would have to go into AD and delete the computer account that
had already been created. Maybe instead of having them get involved,
you could have them search AD for the name of the box you are trying
to add and have them delete that computer account if they can't ping
it and it doesn't exist. That would be my problem as an admin, I
would have to do extensive checking before I remove a computer account
from AD. You might try re-naming your box and seeing if you can join
it then, that might tell you if you're running up against an old (or
at least already existing) name in AD. One way or another, I think
they're going to have to help.

HTH,
Ph03nix