Re: [opensuse] Joining Windows domain during openSUSE 11.0 install
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2008 17:04:17 +0200
On Mon, 2008-09-01 at 09:54 -0500, Silent Ph03nix wrote:

I believe Windows 2003 allowed a domain user to join 10 machines to
the domain. After that it requires a domain admin to add the machine
to the domain. Most of us that are admins, however, normally turn
that feature off and only allow domain admins or some local admins to
join machines to the domain. That way, we control what gets joined to
our domain and some random user can't just join machines to the domain
at will. And I believe in Windows 2000 and previous that you had to
be a domain admin to join a machine to the domain. So, I would bet
that that is what you are running into. Your admins have locked it
down so a normal user can't join the machine to the domain. You
really have 2 options that I see. You can call your IT department,
and they might send someone to you to join your machine to the domain
for you or you don't join to the domain and just enter your domain
credentials when trying to connect to a domain resource. Even as the
admin this last method is the one I usually employ. None of my linux
boxen are joined to my domain.

Don't know if any of that helps, that that's my $.02 as both a linux
and windows admin.

I will have to see if they are running 2000 or 2003. I want to validate
Linux user logins via the AD server. It is the Linux box itself that I
want the users to have access to with their AD passwords, not other
resources on the network. I cannot track their AD passwords manually,
and they are changing all the time. Currently, they have different
user/password on the Linux box than on the AD box. I am trying to get
away from that.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST

Ramböll Sverige AB
Kapellgränd 7
P.O. Box 4205
SE-102 65 Stockholm, Sweden

Office: Int +46 8-615 60 20
Mobile: Int +46 70-815 1696

And remember:

It is like talking about large city with all constructions finished.
Not impossible, but very unlikely.