[opensuse] Joining Windows domain during openSUSE 11.0 install
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2008 16:26:35 +0200
Problem 1:

I decided that I would try to see how joining an Active Directory works
in openSUSE 11.0. So, during install (not finished pending resolution of
this), I have selected to join one. I have entered what I think is
correct information. At some point, it will verify workgroup membership.
A dialog box appears that lets you enter a user and password. The dialog
offers that if I set both items to empty strings, I will be logged in
anonymously. I have done this and it fails saying "Failed to join
domain. User specified does not have administrator privileges." Sort of
makes sense that an anonymous user would not have administrator
privileges. But as I am joining a corporate Active Directory, I am
hardly going to be given the Administrator password. Do I really need
the corporate Active Directory's Administrator password for letting my
Linux machine validate users against a AD server? If so, I find it hard
to imagine this is ever used in a real corporate environment. So it must
be something else. I do not see any more information on any consoles,
nor in /var/log files.

Problem 2:

I am doing this during an install. This step is failing, and I do not
have information to make it proceed (unless some kind soul has a useful
answer for problem 1). My only choices are to proceed (can't because it
fails) or to abort the installation. I seem not to be able to just skip
past this step. Or am I missing something? I tried looking in the
process list for a likely process to kill that may make yast proceed
with the install. But there was nothing obvious. Is my install screwed?

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST

Ramböll Sverige AB
Kapellgränd 7
P.O. Box 4205
SE-102 65 Stockholm, Sweden

Office: Int +46 8-615 60 20
Mobile: Int +46 70-815 1696

And remember:

It is like talking about large city with all constructions finished.
Not impossible, but very unlikely.