Re: [opensuse] Printer Recommendation?
  • From: "Andrew Joakimsen" <joakimsen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 10:24:00 -0400
I nearly always go with Brother Lasers, both colour and b/w.
- the do a thing they call BrotherScript a ka postscript. This has
proven to work flawlessly on just any Linux distro I throw in.

Same here. Brother HL2700 colour laser. Pay more for the printer, pay half
price per sheet for the toner, if you care to do the maths. Works like a
treat on openSUSE 10.3 and 11, 32 and 64 bit.

I have a Brother MFC-465cn... it was one of the cheapest (approx $120)
all-in-one device for sale. I mainly use it as a fax machine but I can
scan through the ADF (or glass) in openSuSE and also print. Brother
provides RPM drivers, I only had to copy a file (/usr/lib/.... to
/usr/lib64) due to running 64-bit SuSE but it runs fine without any
tweaks on 32-bit. Obviously from a $120 inkjet device you aren't going
to get the best color printing, but the software support for Linux is
excellent, it has a built-in Ethernet port and it's memory card slots
are even accessable via FTP.
< Previous Next >