Re: [opensuse] Latest KDE-4.1.0 broken
  • From: Frank Fiene <ffiene@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 12:09:00 +0200
Am Sonntag 31 August 2008 06:45:23 schrieb Rajko M.:
On Saturday 30 August 2008 04:20:06 pm Frank Fiene wrote:
Am Samstag 30 August 2008 21:07:48 schrieb Rajko M.:
On Saturday 30 August 2008 01:06:31 pm lynn wrote:
You are basing your assumptions on something written in 2003? And you
are using kde 4.1?

Good eye ;-)

Yes, but this seems to be the same error!
And this was exactly after upgrading to KDE-4.1.1. Mime database seems to
be broken.

I don't have problem to open few files that I checked, but my configuration
makes sure that I see KDE4 issues only.

No, this is a KDE issue. Trust me.

I do. The reply was to lynn.

Oh, KDE3 is working fine with the same user. I've tried also to delete
.kde4, but same errors. This time starting applications from panel.

KDE4 is using user settings from ~.kde directory to create ~.kde4, so if it
picks up wrong things from there, it will show the same error, every time.
Renaming/deleting ~.kde4 only is not enough.

While it can be some missing library, you should try to create new user and
start only KDE4 from there.
I have the latest KDE4 (revision 40.4), and I can't see problems opening
files, nor messed desktop icons. System is 64 bits.

OK, error was: file permission in /usr/share/mime was set to 600 (root).

Dunno why. I am using root only for updates.

I set it now to 644 and everything is fine again!
--
Frank Fiene / IT-Services
Fon: +49 2526 29-6200

VEKA AG
Dieselstr. 8
48324 Sendenhorst
Deutschland/Germany

Vorstand: Andreas Hartleif (Vorsitzender), Dr. Andreas W. Hillebrand
Bonifatius Eichwald, Elke Hartleif, Dr. Werner Schuler
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Heinrich Laumann
HRB 8282 AG M√ľnster