Re: [opensuse] Problems with USB GPS-device
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2008 09:05:08 +0200
On Fri, 2008-08-29 at 22:44 +0200, Rikard Johnels wrote:
Hello all!

I have a strange problem with a USB GPS device that wont "sync" its
datastream
with the device node.. (Or how i would describe it)

The device is working flawlessly under Windows XP on the same machine.
No problems whatsoever. very fast to lock to satelites.

It is the receiver that, internally, selects satellites, not any code in
XP.

Where shall i go on looking for problems?
Kernel problems with the USB device driver reading the stream??

It seems that you do not really have a USB GPS. What you have is a
serial GPS that is connected via a Serial<->USB cable. This is based on
the device name: /dev/ttyUSB0. USB serial devices have most all the same
control constructs as serial ports. They are intended to be accessed as
serial ports, not USB devices. Some chipsets are have more complete
implementations in the Linux kernel than others. But all have baud rate
and various flow control options.

On Linux, you must tell your software that it is a serial port GPS, even
though it is connected via the USB. That is how these devices are
expected to work. Starting with gpsd (which I do not use - I have my own
access program - but I have at least looked at), how have you defined
your GPS receiver?

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST

Ramböll Sverige AB
Kapellgränd 7
P.O. Box 4205
SE-102 65 Stockholm, Sweden

Office: Int +46 8-615 60 20
Mobile: Int +46 70-815 1696

And remember:

It is like talking about large city with all constructions finished.
Not impossible, but very unlikely.