Re: [opensuse] strange samba rsync problem

----- Original Message -----
From: "Damon Register" <damonregister@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, August 31, 2008 11:45 PM
Subject: [opensuse] strange samba rsync problem

I am having a lot of trouble trying to get a SuSE pc to connect to my
samba server in such a way that rsync works. Here is the setup. I have
a Samba server running on Solaris 10. It has been running for 2 years
and the Windows pc connects just fine and I have even used cygwin
rsync in the past to backup up to that mapped drive

Now I am trying to do something similar with the SuSE pc. On the SuSE
pc I can mount the cifs share and can read and write files on that mounted
share. This is what I used to mount

mount -t cifs -o
uid=rosa,gid=users,nounix,iocharset=iso8859-15,credentials=/etc/zdrive
//192.168.15.100/data /windows/data

The strange problem I have is with rsync on SuSE. I try to backup a small
folder in the /home/rosa directory to a place on the server

rsync -avz --delete /home/rosa/and2/ /windows/data/rosatest

It runs, the files are copied and a diff shows they are the same.
Now I run the rsync again and since nothing is changed, it should
not have to copy any files again but it copies the entire source all
over again as if they all changed. If I change the destination to some
place on the local hard drive, then it behaves just as I expect. Files
are copied the first time but not again because they are now the same.
Got any idea why this is happening?

step one is rsync -vvvvaz --del --progress source dest

Maybe add -n and/or -i too.

Then based on that will probably be some tweak to rsync options to tell it to
ignore some metadata aspect that it currently looks at. Or possibly a tweak to
the mount command or possibly even the samba options on the server, or all of
the above.
Remember samba is ultimately trying to emulate a non-unix filesystem, and not
all unix fs features necessarily have any place or equivalent in ntfs or cifs,
and so the remote file looks different to rsync because of some difference in
the date/time stamps, metadata like uid/gid mapping, owndership, perms, acls,
xattrs. Even though in this case the ultimate remote filesystem is also unix
and all features probably translate fine.

In this case no way would I use samba to do this sync.
Keep the samba server and the share there for the ske of the pc's, sure, but to
sync data fom the suse box I'd just use direct rsync. As in, run an rsync
daemon on the solaris box and use rsync -avz --del /local/path
user@sunbox::module/path
on the suse box.

--
Brian K. White brian@xxxxxxxxx http://www.myspace.com/KEYofR