Re: [opensuse] Multiple <gdm[2526]: DEBUG: ...> Startup Error Messages
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 23:25:29 -0500
On Sunday 31 August 2008 01:12:26 pm Jay Mistry wrote:
What version is a gdm?

Just checked: gdm version is GDM 2.20.4

Try this as root:
# zypper if gdm

It will give you detailed information, like:
Repository: openSUSE-11.0-Oss
Name: gdm
Version: 2.20.4-30.1

That will list more information that might be relevant to the problem.
Please post that.

You listed quite a few repositories and many are home directories of
openSUSE Build Service users, which can hold experimental stuff that is
used to debug software, and that might be why gdm is in debug mode.

Above command will give more information about gdm and hopfully point to
a problem.

Here is the output of the command (nopaste URL):
http://rafb.net/p/swME0z35.html

PS:
You can ignore <cd: /media/DIGIT-AUG08-DVD/suse/noarch: No such file
or directory>, ... as that is the install medium (DVD) for this
openSUSE 11.0 installation (refers to a computer magazine 'Digit' ;
DVD of the current issue was a bootable openSUSE 11 install DVD). I
installed openSUSE 11 from this DVD.

OK. I'll copy the output in this email, as http://rafb.net/ has no other data
anymore. I tried to see what repository is the one that you named
openSUSE-11.0-FTP 11.0 , but list is already gone.

Information for package gdm:

Repository: openSUSE-11.0-FTP 11.0
Name: gdm
Version: 2.20.4-30.1
Arch: i586
Vendor: SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Nuernberg, Germany
Installed: Yes

I checked http://bugzilla.novell.com , but I can't find any bug reports that
talk about DEBUG enabled. Above is gdm released with openSUSE 11.0 Funny,
even Google has only your post here and on alt.os.linux.suse as query result.

I have strong feeling that some of packages that you installed from OBS home
repositories did that. The gdm probably can be set in debug mode, in a script
that is starting it, by providing environmental variable like DEBUG=1 . The
name can be different and that is what I'm trying to decipher now looking for
strings in gdm binary. I'll post if I find anything.

--
Regards, Rajko