Re: [opensuse] Opensuse doesn't wait long enough for the disks to spin up before trrying to configure raid

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Myers" <mikesm559@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "Brian K. White" <brian@xxxxxxxxx>; <opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, August 31, 2008 11:32 PM
Subject: Re: [opensuse] Opensuse doesn't wait long enough for the disks to spin
up before trrying to configure raid

I am very sure there are no BIOS options to spin up the disks,
either staggered or all at once. I have an adaptec 1430SA,
plus two SI3132 based serial ATA controllers. The BIOS of all
the cards has no such option, though the motherboard ports I do
believe obey the motherboard BIOS disk delay parameter. And I
know the Adaptec controller and the SI 3132 BIOS does not support
port multipliers - they only "see" the disk on port 0 of the PMP,
not the other 4. So since it only sees one disk, I do not believe
that it is possible for it to spin the other guys up.

Interesting. I didn't know it was possible to even use an expander
on a controller that didn't support them, that software could come
along later and make use of the extra ports even though the
controller has no knowledge of them. Or at least not safely.

Option 3. Most (all?) disks also have their own jumper for spinup
on power or wait for spinup command.

--
Brian K. White brian@xxxxxxxxx http://www.myspace.com/KEYofR