Re: Thick brick walls was Re: [opensuse] wireless doesn't work in suse 11 RC1
  • From: Robert Smits <bob@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 17:57:16 -0700
On June 16, 2008 01:54:22 am Tom wrote:
My wlan device is a USB dongle, a Fujitsu-Siemens E5400. It has behaved
reasonably well under OS 10.2 and OS 10.3 but not under 11.0RC1.
This dongle is not state of the art but its advantage is that I can
control propagation through the thick brick walls in my house by sliding
the thing over the lamp above the desktop.

In WXP, 10.2 and 10.3 my desktop is assigned ip 192.168.2.2 from a wlan
Dell Wireless 2350 Broadband Router.
In 11.0RC1 I can ping my router, but I cannnot get onto the internet. We
see that a secondary
ip assigned, a new HOSTNAME and ifdown/ifup no longer works.

1. Why a new hostname and a new ipaddress ?
2. How do I make the DNS servers 213.163.128.185, 213.142.0.242 the
preferred ones ?

From my shell as root::
Axehult-Fujitsu:/home/taxehult # ifstatus wlan0
wlan0
wlan0 DHCP client (dhcpcd) is running
IPADDR='192.168.2.3'
NETMASK='255.255.255.0'
GATEWAYS='192.168.2.1'
HOSTNAME='new-host-2' *
* Help

Because it thinks you're another computer.

Go to Yast, Network Devices, (Not Network Services), then Network Settings.

Select a network card, and you'll see tabs for DNS and Hostings settings.
Untick letting dhcp do everything for dns and you can specify your own dns
settings. You may also have to set the gateway to your router's address.

You can also set your IP address manually, if you like.

Keen to learn from any response
Tom Axehult

--
Bob Smits, Ladysmith BC

* The First Law of Intelligent Tinkering
* Save all the Parts!!!