Re: Thick brick walls was Re: [opensuse] wireless doesn't work in suse 11 RC1
  • From: "John Andersen" <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 10:42:56 -0700
On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 1:54 AM, Tom <tom.axehult@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
My wlan device is a USB dongle, a Fujitsu-Siemens E5400. It has behaved
reasonably well under OS 10.2 and OS 10.3 but not under 11.0RC1.

What are OS 10.2 and OS 10.3? Mac OS 10 releases?

In WXP, 10.2 and 10.3 my desktop is assigned ip 192.168.2.2 from a wlan Dell
Wireless 2350 Broadband Router.

Ok, so you have a router.

In 11.0RC1 I can ping my router,

If you can Ping, you already have connectivity. Ping requires an IP.

but I cannnot get onto the internet. We see
that a secondary
ip assigned, a new HOSTNAME and ifdown/ifup no longer works.

You must have selected networkmanager in yast. That prevents
ifup/down from working/

1. Why a new hostname and a new ipaddress ?

New hostname was because of the way you configured the dhcpclient

Specifically, in /etc/dhclient.conf you will see that the
"request" line includes host-name
Take that out and it won't change the host name for you.

2. How do I make the DNS servers 213.163.128.185, 213.142.0.242 the
preferred ones ?

DNS servers, when behind a router are usually set to point to the router which
acts as your DNS server. You can configure some routers to set specific
DNS servers in the router settings, but many simply set each client
machine to use the router itself as a DNS server, and pass the requests
upstream to your ISP.

You can temporarily override the dns servers assigned by the router
by putting them ind /etc/resolv.conf
This file usually gets over-ridden by dhcp client when you get a new
ip assigned by the router.