Re: Cisco VPN Client (WAS: Re: [opensuse] Re: Checkinstall dropped from Opensuse )
  • From: Druid <marcio.ferreira@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 16:26:25 -0300
On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 4:13 PM, Kai Ponte <kai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Monday 09 June 2008 09:39:22 am John E. Perry wrote:

Ok. Personally, I've never had to compile anything (that's one of the
reasons I use suse -- almost everything imaginable is available
already). Now, I'd like to use the Cisco vpn client to work from home
on my employer's systems. Cisco has a linux version, which I have to
compile.

Unfortunately, making an RPM for that is useless. For some stupid reason, the
VPN client is tied into the kernel version. So, every time the kernel is
updated the VPN client is borked and you have to reinstall.

Its possible to make kernel dependent with KMPs, the issue with cisco
would be the proprietary nature.

I would, suggest to try vpnc
(http://www.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/~massar/vpnc/), an open source
replacement for cisco vpn client (included in opensuse). As a bonus it
doesn't have kernel specific deps.

It doesn't work in all cases (works in cisco 3000 concentratorsand
some others, check compat list), but works often. Check if it works.

In 10.3, there is an update in YOU to fix a little bug, so if you try
and its supported, and still not working, run YOU.

Cheers

Marcio
---
Druid