Re: Cisco VPN Client (WAS: Re: [opensuse] Re: Checkinstall dropped from Opensuse )
On Monday 09 June 2008 01:40:47 pm Matthias Bach wrote:
Hi!

Am Montag 09 Juni 2008 schrieb Kai Ponte:
On Monday 09 June 2008 09:39:22 am John E. Perry wrote:
Ok. Personally, I've never had to compile anything (that's one of the
reasons I use suse -- almost everything imaginable is available
already). Now, I'd like to use the Cisco vpn client to work from home
on my employer's systems. Cisco has a linux version, which I have to
compile.

Unfortunately, making an RPM for that is useless. For some stupid reason,
the VPN client is tied into the kernel version. So, every time the kernel
is updated the VPN client is borked and you have to reinstall.

BTW: Another option would be to use vpnc, which is nicely integrated into
the Network Manager and also has the standalone GUI kvpnc. For me this
works nicely to connect to the university Cisco VPN.

I wish I could use that - nice GUI.

Unfortunately, I've yet to be able to connect either to my current or previous
employers' networks using it.

In both cases, the VPN uses a SecureID card that changes the password every 60
seconds and is tied into my login. For some reason, the vpnc and kvpnc
clients won't connect using the pcf file and the SecureID token.

I've tried.

--
kai
www.filesite.org || www.4thedadz.com || www.perfectreign.com