Re: [opensuse] results of hard disk configuration survey
  • From: "Larry Stotler" <larrystotler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 16:07:37 -0400
On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 2:47 AM, John Andersen <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Larry Stotler wrote:
How about a survey about memory? There was just a big debate over
it in another thread, and I for one would be interested to see How
much
RAM and what type people use.
Other than a point of interest what purpose would this serve?

Well, since more and more people are using over a Gig(and I am one in
1 system), but a lot of us are still using older systems that have a
lot of life left that only have 128-512MB RAM. It would be nice to
see exactly how much demand there is for optimizing for slower
systems. I for one don't like having stuff running that wastes
resources like beagle and stuff. For those that want/need it fine,
but for those of us who have limited resources, then a lower end
optimization would be great. Kinda like the stuff they tried awhile
back like SUPER and stuff.

How about a survey that can affect the future path of OpenSuse?

Why not survey wireless network cards (working or not working)
usb devices
Video Cards
DVD/HD/BlueRay drives

These things have an impact on where Linux users would want time and
effort of the developer's spent?

Come to think of it, what happened to the automated hardware survey
that Suse used to have, and Ubuntu still does have.

Where did all those results go?

No idea, but I agree, it would be nice to see where we stand on these
issues. Having almost all networking removed because I deselected the
fingerprint reader was very irriatating. Or having to install support
for Irda(Have NEVER used it), firewire(have had it, NEVER used it),
etc.