Re: [opensuse] Re: Checkinstall dropped from Opensuse
  • From: "John E. Perry" <j.e.perry@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2008 12:39:22 -0400
Philipp Thomas wrote:
On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 16:33:43 -0700, John Andersen wrote:

I should have said IRC is a waste of Philipp's time, unless he plans to
do it 24/7 for years to come.

Ah, so tutorials/workshops are 24/7 for years to come?

Uh, the point, Philipp, was that people all over the world need this,
and those of us who miss it will still need it, and those of us who
don't yet use suse will need it, and...

Let others add to it, and pretty soon you have a complete How-To.
Thats what wikis are for, No?

But not for something resembling an online workshop and that's what I
have in mind.

But Philipp, you started out saying this was all trivial, or at least
easy. Now you're saying you have to hold our hands through the process?

Be it as it may, I'd like people to propose packages that they would
like to be packaged so that I have a list to choose from.

Ok. Personally, I've never had to compile anything (that's one of the
reasons I use suse -- almost everything imaginable is available
already). Now, I'd like to use the Cisco vpn client to work from home
on my employer's systems. Cisco has a linux version, which I have to
compile.

The version I have is apparently adapted for my employer's environment,
and it has to be compiled for my machine, or at least for my
distribution. The package here is larc-vpn-linux-4.8.01.0640-k9, and I
don't know whether I can even give it to you (I'd have to ask), but
since Cisco distributes it to their customers, maybe they will give you
a general copy.

This may be more specialized than what you are thinking of, but it's the
only thing I've ever considered trying to compile. And, of course, it's
a perfect illustration of the usefulness of checkinstall. Without
checkinstall, I'd have to try to keep track of whether and what to
uninstall every time Cisco updates the package.

And, even with checkinstall available, I've dithered for a couple of
weeks, now, trying to work up the courage to do this :-).

John Perry