Re: [opensuse] wireless doesn't work in suse 11 RC1
  • From: Joe Zien <jozien@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2008 00:47:23 -0400
Larry Stotler wrote:
On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 10:46 PM, Joe Zien <jozien@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
How do you install make?

make command is not installed.

# man make (command not found)

You need to start YaST and go into the Software Management module and
install the kernel sources. This will automatically add in the
compilers and everything else you will need. You have to have the
kernel sources installed to built madwifi.

The 52xx series of cards should be fully supported by the new ath5k
driver that comes with the kernel. There should be no need to install
madwifi with the 5212 card that you have. Do an lsmod and see what
modules are loaded. you should have the following:

ath5k
mac80211
cfg80211

If these modules are not in the list, you need to: modprobe ath5k.

If so, then you should just be able to configure your card with YaST.
My Netgear cardbus card uses the 5212/5213 card and works fine with no
config needed under 11.0 RC1.

Also, KNetworkManager is weird under 11.0. It doesn't show any
networks automatically when you right click the wireless icon. You
have to highlight "connect to other network" and select "new wireless
connection" to even see any signals that are available. It didn't
work like that under 10.3
I did lsmod and got all three:

ath5k
mac80211
cfg80211

Pardon my ignorance but does this mean all three are compiled in the kernel?

jozien