Re: [opensuse] Re: Checkinstall dropped from Opensuse [Was: Compiling the Suse way]
  • From: "John Andersen" <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2008 17:03:16 -0700
On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 4:43 PM, James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Philipp Thomas wrote:

On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 20:33:12 +0200, Wolfgang Woehl wrote:

Right. What's there to discuss? You made a mistake, it happens.

The only mistake I made was to think I had dropped it :) As I already
wrote, I had wanted to do it but somehow never really did it, as an
installation of openSUSE 11.0 RC2 showed me.

Now the only thing left is to think of how I may possibly pass on the
knowledge so that people stop using checkinstall.

Philipp

Before you do that, make sure there's a viable replacement available.
Otherwise you'll be creating a problem for many users.

Which kind of points out a problem with the supposedly Community driven
model that OpenSuse claims to follow here:
https://users.opensuse.org/guidingprinciples
(especially all of those things listed under "We Value...",
such as openness, choice, transparency etc etc.)

With no request for input, one guy decided to drop the Checkinstall
package.

The fact that it snuck thru anyway was due to the fact that he
failed to communicate: even to his own team.