Re: [opensuse] Re: Checkinstall dropped from Opensuse [Was: Compiling the Suse way]
  • From: Philipp Thomas <philipp.thomas2@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2008 13:01:51 +0200
On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 10:37:20 +0200, Joachim Schrod wrote:

Here is your first and major misconception. Arbitrary source
tar-balls from the Net do *NOT* usually use build roots.

that. It's about source tar-balls from the Net. Something like the
stuff you get from CPAN, where you call perl Makefile.pl, make,
make test, make install to get it going. Where is the build root there?

For these there isn't one, but that's a case why you should be using the
build script, i.e. build in a chroot environment.

And setting a (probably even chroot'ed) build root up is a task for
an experienced programmer and not for someone who just wants a
local RPM package quickly done

The chroot'ed build root is rather easy when you use our build script :)
Take a random source package, put the packages you need for the real
package in its BuildRequires and stop the script after it has set up the
chroot environment: et voila, you have what you need.

If you don't recognize that, you lost contact with the your user
base.

I tend to believe that most of our user base does not compile their own
packages.

But I see the problem that Carlos and others are facing, while you don't
seem to see them.

I do see the problems (to a degree) but I tend to not see them as being
so severe.

Philipp