Re: [opensuse] Checkinstall dropped from Opensuse [Was: Compiling the Suse way]
  • From: Hans Witvliet <hwit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2008 00:17:19 +0200
On Fri, 2008-06-06 at 11:47 +0200, Clayton wrote:

I am not saying that building a spec file is impossible, but it is
_definitely_ not as clean and simple as checkinstall to those who have
never had to build a "proper" RPM... to those of us who just want a
quick and simple way to make an RPM for our own use.

It's not impossible.
However there are few who can do it correctly.

Specially for inherriting larger projects for some small adjustments it
can be a daunting task.

Some months ago a co-worker tried to rebuild a package (FDS) from the
OBS. Even without altering a single line: No way! So even those can not
be 100% trusted to be used as an base or a working example...

It's reading, reading, trying over and over again.
however, when/if you got it properly (!!) working in the end, you got a
realy good spec file, instead of an quick-and-dirty solution.
Building in an chroot environment makes shure that you get reproducable
results, instead of using your own environment.

hw