Re: [opensuse] Checkinstall dropped from Opensuse [Was: Compiling the Suse way]
  • From: Philipp Thomas <philipp.thomas2@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 22:21:32 +0200
On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 12:31:46 +0200 (CEST), Carlos E. R. wrote:

But then there is a large list listing every single file and directory that
the rpm has to have.

You don't necessarily need such a large list. If you write your own spec
file and use a build root (as nearly all packages do), you install into
newly created directories and can thus use wildcards such as
/usr/bin/* or /usr/share/man/man1/*.gz.

Checkinstall can't do that as it installs into the live system.

Where on earth can I get that huge list? I'm looking at one with 300+
lines of files, one I often build.

1) Like I wrote above, you don't necessarily need a list naming each
individual file.
2) Do it like I often do when creating a new package: let the %files
entry be empty as then rpmbuild will list all files that got in-
stalled but not packaged.

Only the developer of that library knows what needs to be included.

Like I wrote above: let the package install itself and then package
that.

Commands I can type, I'm not afraid of typing. But this is a job for a
developer, not a user.

I tend to differ! Either I know enough of building programs and can deal
with the problems that might crop up or I search for prebuilt packages
and don't compile at all.

Yes, before I started to work at SuSE nearly nine years ago I also
installed some packages by 'make install', but back then there wasn't
neither build service nor a wiki with documentation. And the package
that I didn't package as rpm was glibc, as SuSE back then still used the
old libc5.

And I concede that I'm biased as I've learned with the years to deal
with quite a few pitfalls, but many of the problems only arise when I
want to place files somewhere else than where the package wants to
install them, for instance because the path doesn't conform with LSB.

Philipp